Harry Partch (1901-1974)
photo by Betty Freeman
"I am not an instrument-maker, but a philosophical music-man seduced into carpentry.”
Born in Oakland, California. His parents were missionaries in China who fled the Boxer Rebellion; they settled in remote areas of Arizona and New Mexico, where Partch’s first encounters with music consisted of Chinese and Native American folksongs. He learned to play the clarinet, organ, piano, and guitar and began composing music.
When he was 28, Partch burned all his compositions and began a hitchhiking trip to Chicago, which became a 10-year trek around the country as a hobo. He documented his journey, compiling his observations in Bitter Music, a published collection of his journals, essays, and other writings.
Partch was the first musician to focus almost exclusively on the microtones within an individual note and devised a 43-note scale to replace the conventional 12-note chromatic scale. This led to complications with having his music performed; in most cases, his works could only be performed on instruments he created. For this reason, he spent most of his adult life designing, redesigning, and building dozens of instruments, including the chromelodeon (a reed organ retuned using colors to designate keys and scales), cloud chamber bowls (suspended glass bottles), and the quadrangularis reversum (a large marimba with auxiliary keys on either side).
- rmichaelwahlquist likes this
- kavan30013 reblogged this from cococonk and added:
- shentoncarrington likes this
- regyptianstrut reblogged this from cococonk
- l-ombre-absoute reblogged this from cococonk
- jeshikari likes this
- post-historic reblogged this from brofessoroak
- brofessoroak reblogged this from phonogeek
- kingof20s likes this
- hikergeek likes this
- benjohnsonfx reblogged this from cococonk
- grodyguacamole likes this
- rafractalizado reblogged this from cococonk
- phonogeek reblogged this from dub9dope
- buzzrick reblogged this from dub9dope
- buzzrick likes this
- dub9dope reblogged this from cococonk
- cococonk posted this